The Mouse Who Could Leap Across the Sky

Welcome

Welcome to my blog.  If you want to know more about me, take a look at the blurb on the upper right-hand side, and if you want to read my stories or see my artwork, you can find those under the section marked "Story Series" on the lower left-hand side.

But if you have just a few minutes, then I want to share with you just one story.

Here it is . . .


Do You Dance to the Beat of a Different Drum?

There are some of us who "dance to the beat of a different drum," but I've often wondered: What sound does the drum make?

For me, the sound of the drum can be relentless.  "You don't belong here," it roars when I try to wedge myself into the tight, conservative and restrictive spaces of a traditional lawyer.  The sound challenges me to create my own space for a holistic practice of law to emerge--a practice that sees the individual as more than a legal problem.  "You aren't doing enough," the drum roars when I neglect my art, my writing, and my long walks in the woods.  I am more than what I do, and when I forget that I suffer for it.

For those of us who hear the roaring in our ears, an ordinary life just isn't enough.  For me, the roaring of the drum challenges me to live a worthy life, a life of purpose and meaning . . . and yes, even fun!  And when I read the story of The Mouse Who Could Leap Across the Sky, I am reminded of the importance of finding my tribe of dancers who also hear the beating of the drum.

I share this story with all of you who hear the roaring in your ears--no matter how faint.  May you follow the sound to your own joy.


The Mouse Who Could Leap Across the Sky

Once there was a little mouse surrounded by other little mice.  But this little mouse was different for she could hear a great big roaring sound in her ears. 

“Do you hear that?” asked the little mouse.  “Do you hear the roaring?”

But no one else could hear what she heard, and soon they began to whisper that the little mouse had gone quite mad. 

No matter what she did to silence the sound, The Little Mouse continued to hear the great big roaring in her ears.  One day, she could not ignore the sound any longer, and the Little Mouse determined to set off on a  Great Adventure to find the source of the roaring.

She set out across a vast desert full of snakes and hawks and coyotes.  The Little Mouse was all alone, and she was scared.  She circled and circled and circled trying to find her way, but she was lost.  The Little Mouse was hungry and lonely and tired.  Just as she was about to give up and return from where she had come, the Little Mouse came across a colony of Old Mice living out their days in comfort and abundance.  "Welcome," said the Old Mice.  They pulled the Little Mouse into their circle and fed her, gave her a place to sleep in peace, and kept her company.  The Little Mouse was content.

But try as she might, she could not get the sound of the roaring out of her system.

"Do you hear that," asked the Little Mouse.  "Do you hear that great big roaring sound?"

But the Old Mice simply shook their heads.  They could not hear the roaring in their ears.

The Little Mouse decided to continue on her adventure to find the source of the roaring.

"Don't go," cried the Old Mice.  "Stay here and you will never again be lonely or hungry or tired.  You are safe here with us."

But the Little Mouse had to find the source of the roaring.  She packed a little knapsack full of the essentials for her journey, and she set off across a vast forest, over a mountain and down into a deep valley.  Once again, the Little Mouse was lost.  She sat on the ground and began to cry, for the Little Mouse was hungry and lonely and tired, when along came Mr. Raccoon.

"What's wrong?" asked the Raccoon.

And the Little Mouse told him about the place from where she had come, and she told him about the Old Mice.  But most of all, the Little Mouse told Mr. Raccoon about the great big roaring in her ears that she had heard her whole life.

"I know the source of that sound," said Mr. Raccoon.

"You do?" the Little Mouse asked in shock. 

"It is the sound of the great, big life giving river.  It is said that those who find that river shall find all that they are seeking."

"But how am I to find her?" asked the Little Mouse.

Mr Raccoon sighed, marveling at the naivete of the very young.  "You need only leap across the sky, and if you are meant to you will see exactly the direction you are to go."

So the Little Mouse leaped across the sky and for one brief moment she could see the great life giving river that was the source of the roaring in her ears.  She thanked Mr. Raccoon and ran and ran in the direction the river.

When she arrived, she found not only the river but a wonderful tribe of other little mice who had also heard the great big roaring in their ears . . . and, like her they had followed the sound back to its source.

0 comments:

Post a Comment